What is an Alcoholic?
At the outset, we wish to emphasize that an alcoholic is not-as some still naively believe-necessarily a social derelict. While it is not infrequent, such a condition is not inevitable. What is much more important is the fact that an active alcoholic is just as much a sick person as is an individual with diabetes, tuberculosis or a cardiac condition.
An alcoholic is any person whose indulgence in alcohol continuously or periodically results in disruptive behavior or disrupts normal relations with his or her work, family or social group.
While actual damage may not have been done, it is merely a matter of time or chance when something will occur. Therefore, such a person is alcoholic insofar as the necessity of his or her giving up drinking is concerned.
Am I an Alcoholic?
We believe that if any person will, with brutal honesty, examine his or her drinking record in the light of the definitions contained herein, he or she can definitely determine whether or not he or she is an alcoholic.
You can answer these questions with a Yes or No
- Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
- Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
- Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
- Is drinking affecting your reputation?
- Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
- Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
- Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
- Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
- Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
- Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
- Do you want a drink the next morning?
- Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
- Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
- Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
- Do you drink to escape worries or troubles?
- Do you drink alone?
- Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
- Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
- Do you drink to build up your confidence?
- Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?
How’d you score?
-Text can be referenced to the pamphlet titled “The Key,” printed in 1985 by Manuscript.